11.27.2007

Hot drinks to warm your soul

The first snow in Salt Lake is falling...at this very moment! The glistening white flakes are beautiful and the new chill in the air has me craving a drink that will warm me from the inside. Here are two hot drinks that are a hit with my family. At least one of these drinks are guaranteed to be served at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Nothing tastes better after a long day on the slopes than a hot drink to help you defrost. Both recipes use traditional flavors, but each are just different enough to stand out and make an impression. I hope you'll all try at least one this season!

Hot Almond Drink

10 cups water
1 cup sugar
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
6 oz. frozen lemonade concentrate
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Combine all ingredients in large pot, heat over stove top and serve warm.

Hot Cranberry Punch

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
4 cinnamon sticks

Boil sugar, water and cinnamon sticks for 5 minutes. Then add:

2 cups orange juice
1 quart cranberry juice
1 quart water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Heat through and serve.

*To Garnish: Serve both these drinks with floating round slices of fresh oranges for an added embellishment.
**Gift idea: make a big batch of your favorite winter drink, divide into tall mason jars, decorate with ribbon and attach the recipe with instructions to re-heat. I would LOVE to receive a jar full of warm goodness to drink.

...and may all your Christmas' be white. Enjoy the snow, and Cheers!

3 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

very cute. i will definitely be giving these both a try. the almond one sounds delish! i love the snow too-my lights look twice as great with a little powder over them!

j e s s i e said...

I'm always happy when I get a new recipe. Thanks G!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I can't wait to try these! You have no idea how much I love winter drinks. I even getting excited about the mugs and tea cups I drink them in.